Over the past week I have been consulting on the network, the advantages of having an agent, especially for a new author.
The conclusion I have reached can not be more blunt, it will be almost forced to try to get an agent if you intend to publish your first book. The reasons:
- An agent is only an intermediary between the author and publisher. But, in turn, is a filter that convinces the editor to at least take some of your valuable time to assess your work, which otherwise probably or read.
I guess he or she who is interested in publishing his first work, is already saturated aware of what is the publishing world, and hundreds of proposals each month receives a publisher, I will not be me who you dizzy so figure.
- A second reason that I understand that a literary agent is the best option, is that the author is the agent's client. If the author sells, the agent earns. For this simple reason, the agent will be more interested in moving the work and avoid the cumbersome work of the author, whose only job, I understand, should be to create and participate in the promotion of its publication to Check it.
- Needless to say that an agent will have some contacts with publishers who never get a novel writer and editorial may know that better fit our work.
- Another advantage, which is not exempt from a few grams of urban legend, is the possibility that if you get a well-connected agent, you may be able insinuarte present at one of the events of "prestige "(yes, the quotation marks and bold prestige). Man ... if it's a bit difficult for a novice writer can get this kind of patronage, of which we speak ... you say ..., it says ..., that between ... established writers, "Abel, Ailas."
- The only problem that may involve having an agent is 15% (normal) of your income, but even this small "lock" is actually beneficial to the author, once the agent will try your work is sold well for its share of benefits is, in turn, also higher.
For these reasons, following the recent example of new writers and have been Elisabeth or Teo Palacios, who not many months ago published his first work through the agency of Sandra Bruna decided to bet on them. O guiding the initiatives undertaken by other budding author is Jesus F., whose insurance will soon see his first published work. I have chosen to send a standard letter to several literary agencies following the advice of a writing Elisabeth received the prestigious literary agency Schavelzon, and a few weeks ago I sent by e-mail.
From here I advise everyone who intends to present his first book, which anterioriad to make a move, please read the "warnings" and the letter was exposed. I am quite sure that you will find helpful. You can request such a letter to Elisabeth itself, whose blog I keep linking to the right.
One last tip I got from the blog "Literary Misery" will always be more successful both literary agents who are not "exalted" as the case may be Schavelzon itself, Barcells, etc .... Why?, If you succeed that I represent, work "arta difficult", you risk that your work is forgotten and not find out. Not because your text is not valid, but these agents also represent escritres of best-sellers ", and obviously pay more attention to these authors that the novel that usually will bring far fewer benefits. More than one and one has already happened. Obviously, if one of these "Monsters" you call, you can think of not saying no, but be aware where you can get.
0 comments:
Post a Comment